Friday, May 18, 2012

A Replacement

I guess I should tell you what happened. Even if the only ones who read this are one of the Witch's servants and another horrid body snatcher.

Anyone else who might be reading this who can help?

Yesterday and today I went to school again, like before. Again no one could do anything about it. This time, however, they saw her.

I was getting lunch in the cafeteria, the lunch ladies' arms jerking about like the marionettes that they were, and their eyes widened. The whole room went quiet. She stood there, in the middle, where everyone could see.

But she was no longer beautiful. No, she was a hag. A hideous, shriveled corpse of rotting wood. Her stringy hair and cracked glass eyes made it all the worse to look upon her.

"I will make puppets of you all," she declared. "You will join my army."

I stepped forward. "Stop it."

She smirked. "And how will you stop me, little pissant?"

I was angry. "You've done nothing but lie to me, manipulate me, use me! You've ruined my life! I want answers! NOW!!!"

"All in good time."
"Why me?"

"I said, 'All in good time,' you insolent little wretch!"

"NO!"

I felt myself pulled into the air and thrown backward into a wall.

"You will keep your mouth shut or die!"

I could no longer open my mouth.

"Well, looks like your opportunity has shut and locked the door behind you. You see, Evan here was to be one of the generals, presiding over you. I find that a little leeway free-will-wise allows them to think of things I might not. Unfortunately for him, he broke our agreement. He will be severely punished. Now for a test: which of you will make a good replacement? Evan will be your target practice. I will lend you strength and agility, but you will decide the actions."

Everyone was unceremoniously pulled from their seats to a standing position. They were made to march into neat rows. She instructed each of them to go against me one at a time.

I couldn't do anything on my own. I was at the mercy of the Witch and her skills. I believe she intenionally left me vulnerable several times, as payback.

A few try-outs in, it was Stephen's turn. He looked all too happy to have the chance to pummel me in response to what I'd done to him and his friends.

He punched me in the gut a few times, he missed a few times as I was made to dance out of range.

I looked up at him, tears and desperation in my eyes. "Please. Help me."

He hesitated and drew back a moment.

"Please," I continued, "I'm sorry for what I've done. I've made a mess of things.I just wanted to be able to fight back against all my problems. I only created more."

A moment later, he was back to beating me up again. My lip was bleeding, I had bruises all over, and I felt like throwing up after he was done.

"Well. I think I've found my replacement."

I was hoping she would leave me alone with my injuries and pain once we got home, but she refuses to let go. I think she's going to make me her soldier whether I like it or not.

I guess I'm getting what I deserve.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I can't help right now. There's nothing I can do. But I am trying to start up a group. Hang in there, Evan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just poor James/Percy and the Liar. You know I've been reading too. Unfortunately there's no known cure for having been made a Puppet.

    No, I take that back. James managed to get that poor girls strings out but I don't know how he got to that place (I don't think HE knows how he got there) or on what basis whatever the hell he found there judged him worthy.

    No kid, there's only one sure way out of your mess at this point. I'll make you the same offer I've made others who are so severely screwed through little fault of their own. If you can slip her grasp long enough come to Michigan and find me and I'll make it as painless as I can.

    ReplyDelete